Mobile devices have become an integral part of our lives. We use them for essential tasks such as communication, information access, banking, and daily routine tasks. However, there is a risk that malicious individuals could easily breach mobile security measures and purposely install spy apps to monitor your location, calls, messages, financial information, and social media activity.
In this article, we will reveal 4 effective methods to tell you how to find spyware on Android and preserve sensitive data.
How to Find Out If Your Android Cell Phone Has Been Infected with Spyware?
If the question “How to check if any spy app is installed on my phone?” is at the top of your to-do list, the information below will be useful for you to read. Here you will find the warning signs of an Android device that has been infected with spyware:
Suspicious Phone Activity
Have you ever experienced your phone turning on or off on its own? Or have you noticed unknown apps that you swear you have never downloaded? These suspicious cases may seem minor but could be the first sign of a more significant issue–a possible phone infection. Don’t ignore your gadget, as it could be trying to tell you something important. Instead, keep a keen eye on any unusual behavior, and take action to safeguard your mobile device and personal information.
Odd Background Noises or Echoes During a Call
If you notice strange background noises, echoes, or clicks during your phone calls, it can be poor reception or a hidden spy app installed. Spy apps can monitor your conversations, record your every move, and even control your phone covertly. Therefore, regularly check your gadget for suspicious activities, update your software if needed, and install reliable security measures to secure your data.
High Device Data Usage
If you notice that phone data usage has significantly increased without your influence, this may be a sign of hidden apps installed on Android. Hidden spyware can easily get into your device to collect data and send it to a third party without your consent. Often they use up a lot of data in the process, making it a noticeable indication that something fishy is happening on your phone.
Rapid Battery Drainage
Have you noticed that your Android battery life drains unusually fast? This could signify your phone was affected by spyware. However, it’s necessary to highlight that this can not always be the case. Another reason for your battery drain may be an old battery or a recently installed new application.
Sounds Emitted Phone When Not in Use
The other reason for hidden spy apps installed on your Android phone are suspicious sounds (except for notifications when not in use) your phone produces.
How to Protect Android Devices from Spyware Applications?
Many ways help defend Android devices from spyware apps. Some of the most helpful and effective ones include:
- Only click on email links if you are entirely confident in the sender and the link you are clicking on.
- Use only reliable sources when downloading applications like Google Play Store. Much spyware is included with applications downloaded from other websites.
- Before downloading an app, review app ratings to determine if other users have encountered problems with spyware.
- Using anti-malware tools may also help detect any spyware apps. Once seen, they won’t allow installing any suspicious app.
How to Find Spyware Apps on Android?
If you are interested in how to find hidden spy apps on Android, the information you see below will be handy for you:
Review Your Applications and Folders
Often, our devices can accumulate unused or forgotten apps over time, cluttering our screens and potentially compromising our personal information. Therefore, you need to periodically review them on your phone (don’t forget to check those that are stored in folders) to ensure that all downloads are familiar and reliable.
Keep an Eye Out for the Small Teardrop Symbol
Always watch for the little teardrop icon on your phone’s notification bar whenever an app uses your device’s location. If it accidentally appears when you do not use an application permitted to access your location, it could suggest malicious spyware is operating on your device.
Check App Permission
Checking the permissions of apps you have downloaded is another way to detect spyware on an Android phone. Although the process may take some time, it can provide valuable insight into how your location, microphone, and camera are being accessed. How to do it?
- Open your phone’s “Settings” and select “Apps”‘.
- Choose “App Permissions” or “Permission Manager.”
- Now you can see all the applications that have permission to access the above-mentioned data. By reviewing this information, you can identify any potential hidden spy activities and take action to preserve your privacy.
Monitor Google Play Protect
If the malware and virus scanner embedded in Android phones is not deactivated, it should be active by default. However, if it was active, but you accidentally found it inactive, it can mean that somebody hiddenly installed an Android spy application on your cell phone. To verify the settings of Google Play Protect, follow these steps:
- Launch the “Google Play Store” application.
- Access the “Menu” option.
- Select “Play Protect.”
- Tap the tiny “Settings” cog located in the upper right corner.
- Ensure the “Scan apps with Play Protect” toggle is enabled.
How to Remove Spy Applications?
If you detect a spy phone app, you must delete it immediately. How to do it? Follow the below-listed recommendations to uninstall hidden apps:
- Remove any suspicious apps that you didn’t install.
- Update the phone’s operating system to patch up any security holes.
- Factory reset your device to erase any potential spyware, although this should be a last resort as it will wipe all of your information.
- If you cannot remove the spy application, ask for help from a professional. You may give your device to a repair shop or contact the manufacturer’s customer service for assistance. If you want to check or secure your friend’s phone from spy activities, use Android tracking apps that can remotely tell you what apps were installed or deleted. They not only provide mobile security but serve as an excellent tool for parental control. So, you will always stay informed about what your kid downloads.
So, now that you know how to detect spyware on Android phone, you will prevent the risk of your sensitive data loss.